Simple Tips to Loosen the Neck Muscle
By Admin at 1 October, 2010, 8:47 pm
If you are in search of an exercise to loosen the large muscle in the neck then we may have the exact thing you have been looking for, but first let’s take a more detailed view of the muscle we are talking about.
If you run your hands along either side of your neck and gently press as you are doing this, you should be able to feel the sternocleidomastoid (SCM) muscle. The muscle runs down the sides of the neck, with one end attached to the occipital bone of the skull. At the other end, the muscle splits and one section attaches to the collarbone or clavicle, and the other attaches to the breastbone, also called the sternum.
The significance of this muscle is obvious once you learn about its functions relating to motion. It is involved in the intricate movements associated with the flexing of the bones in the neck (cervical spine) and rotating of the head up and down and from side to side as well. Keeping this prominent muscle stretched and strong should be at the top of our physical fitness list.
Here is an exercise to stretch the SCM muscle:
• Sit up straight in a chair and totally relax your shoulders.
• Turn your head in either direction, and continue to turn until you are looking over the shoulder and behind you.
• Keep your head turned and slowly tilt it so that you are looking up at the ceiling. Hold this position for 20 seconds and then rest for 15 seconds.
• Repeat this exercise two more times.
• Do three more repetitions while looking over the other shoulder and don’t forget to tilt and look at the ceiling.
As you become accustomed to this exercise you may want to turn it up a notch and increase the number of repetitions. However, remember to take it slowly in the beginning.
Republished by Blog Post Promoter